Saturday 25 September 2010

The Man in the Iron Mask

There are several versions of this film out there. I one I've seen most recently is the 1998 version starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

I know. And I'm not sorry.

DiCaprio can get a hard time as an actor, most people just can't see past his encounters with Shakespeare and the giant boat. These people haven't seen What's eating Gilbert Grape, where he holds his own opposite Johnny Depp, or Marvin's room where he does much the same against Robert DeNiro. I refuse to view DiCaprio as a reason not to view a film these days, especially in light of The Departed, Shutter Island and Inception.

Sadly it was the DeCaprio that was in the boat film that turned up for this film. A real shame since the supporting cast is especially strong. Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, Gabriel Bryne and Gepardieu as the older Musketeers convince you right from the off that they have real histories and relationships. So much so in fact that I'm always saddened this isn't a sequel and there isn't an earlier film with these four as the Four Musketeers. Which makes DiCaprio's performance all the more painful. We know he can do better and given the quality of actor he's working with here the bar should have been so much higher.

The one moment that nearly kills the film for me every time is "Once a Musketeer always a Musketeer, huh?".

Seriously? That was the best they could do? No-one caught this line before filming? Off the top of my head I can think of several better ways of phrasing that.

"Once a Musketeer...."
"Once a Musketeer always a Musketeer, Aramis?"
"You never really left the Musketeers did you, Rene?"

And this one encapsulates the biggest problem with this film; it has one leg firmly entrenched in the present. I know that there is a certain amount of adjustment to be made. Obviously you couldn't have the whole cast speaking in French. Although it is a nice touch having Depardieu bringing his native accent to the film, it almost makes up for the lack of effort that Malkovich put into his accent.

Having said that I always enjoy Malkovichs's portrayal of Athos, of the various relationships shown in this film the ones between Athos and the other cast members are the ones that carry the most weight emotionally. "You are not my priest, Aramis. You would not be even if I chose to have one." This line combined with the delivery tells us much about this version of Athos.

Of course it helps that the other Musketeers are given strong portrayals as well. Depardieu actually let me enjoy Porthos, who I've always seen as "the other guy" in any other Musketeer film I've ever seen. He's obviously having fun. Irons is good and solid as Aramis, who was always my favourite Musketeer, and manages to deliver lines with the potential for cheese with suitable gravitas. Sad that he ended up in Eragon. Byrne's performance however sums up perfectly the mix of good and bad that makes up this film. I appreciated his performance more this time now that I'm a father myself. He pain he exudes in everything he doesn't say regarding is incredibly touching. "I would have worn the mask." That line carries a larger emotional punch if you've had children. Sadly he also has some of the clunkier lines in the film, the worst of which is "Anne, to love you is treason against France. But not to love you is treason against my heart.". 


Do I really need to say anymore?


So, this film is a mixture of class and cheese. With just enough nice touches to keep me coming back to it. I've always been a sucker for Musketeer films, I just wish it had sharper dialogue and that the Musketeers would draw their swords a bit more. I also mean to lift a copy of the soundtrack each time I watch this, it matches the film perfectly. It's uplifting and swashbuckling and every so often delivers that little bit of gravitas. Maybe this time I'll actually pick up a copy. Hell I might even pick up a copy of the DVD, it's a pain having the hook up the video each time I want to enjoy this guilty pleasure.

2 comments: